How PRO-TF® can help
David Vollmer, PhD
Chief Scientific Officer
With continued advances and knowledge on healthy living, life expectancy continues to increase. In fact, experts predict that by 2050, over 20% of the world’s population will be above the age of 60, more than double what it is today.1
Because of these trends, healthy aging is a hot topic in scientific research. One area of focus is muscle protection. Loss of muscle mass, strength, and function are a natural part of the aging process. Studies have shown that after age 40, some individuals may experience up to an 8% loss in lean muscle mass every ten years!2
Muscle-related health issues occur at different rates for different people. These issues are generally caused by a combination of factors, such as:
- Decreased physical activity
- Nutritional deficiencies
Poor muscle health in aging populations can lead to unpleasant outcomes, including:
- Reduced independence
- Increased healthcare costs
- Progressive disabilities
- Higher risk of physical injury
Current research on muscle protection for the aging population has shifted from a reactionary response to a proactive prevention model. Studies have shown that eating a higher protein diet may help preserve muscle mass as you age. The research also suggests that consuming high-quality protein throughout the day (e. g. with each meal) can support the presence of healthy muscle growth.3
“Leading studies have shown that eating a higher protein diet may help preserve muscle mass as you age.”
Incorporating exercise or maintaining an active lifestyle can also help with protecting vital muscle function.4 Experts suggest consuming 20−30 grams of high-quality protein with each meal and 40 grams of high-quality protein post workout.
PRO-TF® for healthy aging
PRO-TF can help navigate healthy aging. In pre-clinical university tests, Low Molecular Weight PRO-TF Protein Blend has been shown to increase muscle development by up to 74%.*5 With PRO-TF, you can take proactive and preventive measures to help build a greater reservoir of vital muscle mass now to minimize the negative impacts of aging.* Supplement your daily meals with PRO-TF and add resistance training to your exercise regime to further improve muscle maintenance.
“PRO-TF has been shown in pre-clinical university tests to increase muscle development by up to 74%.”*
Make a plan now for healthy aging, so that your senior years can be some of the best years of your life. Keep living life to the fullest and do all of the things you love most. Keep exploring, dancing, and soaring!
Learn more about PRO-TF and 4LifeTransform® products at www.4lifetransform.com and download the 4LifeTransform™ App from the App Store or Google Play.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
1. World Population Ageing 2013, United Nations.
2. Paddon-Jones D and Rasmussen BB. Dietary protein recommendations and the prevention of sarcopenia: Protein, amino acid metabolism and therapy. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2009; 12(1): 86-90.
3. Houston DK, Nicklas BJ, Ding J, et al. Dietary protein intake is associated with lean mass change in older, community-dwelling adults: the health, aging, and body composition (Health ABC) study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 150-155.
4. Breen L and Phillips SM. Skeletal muscle protein metabolism in the elderly: interventions to counteract the ‘anabolic resistance’ of ageing. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2011; 8: 68.
5. Mobley et al. Effects of protein type and composition on postprandial markers of skeletal muscle anabolism, adipose tissue lipolysis, and hypothalamic gene expression. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (2015) 12:14.